It’s the time of year people take a minute to look backward before starting off the new year with a clean slate. Scary Mommy posted about her year in review and Tough Cookie Mommy wrote her lessons learned. I had not planned to reflect on 2010, but their posts changed my mind. I think there is great value in taking a moment to reflect on our past, our lessons, and our lives before putting them behind us and moving forward. So, here’s to 2010…
Overall thoughts? 2010 was a MUCH better year than 2009 – hands down. If next year improves that much then 2011 is going to be stellar! But here are the specifics:
Highlights of my posts from 2010:
My very first post = Is your company guilty of discrimination?
My first Wordless Wednesday = Vaseline + Toddler equals…
My first collaborative series = 7 Women Share Secrets of Executive Image
My first guest post = Money Savvy Tip: Redbox for DVD Rentals
First business tips = Want a Promotion? Read this…
Best Trophy Husband article = Trophy Husband or Stay at Home Dad?
First Money Smart Tip = Money Smart Tip #1: Save Painlessly
Best networking tip = Learn to Network Successfully
Best personality post = Introvert or Extrovert? What’s the Difference?
My first giveaway = Chocolate Brown Vera Bradley Purse
Favorite title = Does this salary make my butt look big?
Most political post = Are you Right Wing or Left? Ass or Elephant?
Going against the norm = Is giving 110% really the key to success?
First fundraiser post = Giving thanks when you are a 15 year old with a brain tumor
Best holiday post = Christmas Traditions
Best parenting post = Are we protecting our children or stifling them?
Silliest post = Let me introduce you to Fred…my whisker
So which of these is your favorite? What would you like me to write more about in 2011? Any new topics you’d like to see covered? Please let me know in the comments! I’d love your thoughts on the direction of the blog…
And here are just some things I learned this year – more for me to look back on than you, but you are welcome to look!
- I went back to work full time.
- I started 4 websites.
- I finally found the house of my dreams for a price I could pay (assuming we both have jobs).
- I discovered an amazing digital community that I’m not quite sure how I survived without until now.
- I went skiing for the first time in 11 years! (pregnancies, nursing, etc. kept getting in the way.)
- I started couponing and stockpiling and LOVE it.
- I made some new friends and reconnected with others.
- I spent some amazing quality time with my children – skiing, crafting, family game night…
- My husband lost his job and it’s been a blessing (in disguise) – we get more time with him, his focus is our family, and the kids adore having him home before and after school.
- I brought in a lot of work, helped develop some amazingly talented staff, and although I may not have figured out how to manage the male ego – I have managed not to piss them off quite so often.
- I learned the value of a budget and the power of passive income.
- I learned there are some arguments I will never win and sometimes the best thing you can do is let go.
- I learned to appreciate my husband’s wisdom and insight into people and that I truly do love him.
- My kids and I volunteered together for the first time this year – stuff for students and delivering baskets to homebound seniors.
- I finally lent money via Kiva.
- And, I learned I have to make time for me. Not just the me that gets to read a book or get a pedicure, but the *me* that figures out who I am after you strip away the roles and titles. Not mom. Not wife. Not employee. Who am I? I haven’t answered it yet, but I learned to value me and to put effort into figuring it out.
Happy New Year! Please don’t forget to leave a comment telling me what you’d like to see from MiM in 2011. Here’s to a fantastic year filled with new discoveries and great conversations.