Today is the first weigh in after recommitting to getting fit. The week has been decent – not wonderful where I met all of my goals and kicked total scale butt – but decent in that I made some positive choices.
As I said last week, I think goals are important to keep motivated for long term changes (like losing 70 pounds and having toned knees). You may not need the mind games, but personally – even though I am well aware it is a mind game – respond better with goals and presents to anticipate. Here were my goals from last week:
- My first weight loss goal is 10 pounds.
- My weekly goal this week is to use my elliptical a minimum of 60minutes (2 x 30min) and do one exercise video.
- My other goal this week is to record my food diary. I have a Fat Secret account, but have been lazy about using it. As of today, it’s all being recorded!
- My reward if I meet my goals this week? A bowl of Ben and Jerry’s Chubby Hubby ice cream. YUM!
- My reward if I lose 20 pounds? I will buy myself a new pair of jeans and a cute top.
How’d I do?
- I lost 1 pound – making it a total of 4 pounds. 6 pounds to go for meeting that first scale milestone.
- I used my elliptical 3 times: Monday – 15min & 175cal ~ Thursday – 20min & 200cal ~ Saturday – 25min & 300cal – Total = 60min & 675cal.
- I did not do an exercise video.
- I recorded my food intake one day and then stopped.
- I ate an entire pint of Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby.
Conclusion = Mediocre
- Setting goals did help in that I used my elliptical for the first, second and third times this week.
- I did not hold myself to high enough standards and can do better this week.
Goals for 7/3 to 7/9
- Record my food diary for a minimum of 4 days.
- Use elliptical a minimum of 3 times and 750 calories.
- Walk the dogs 2 times.
- No ice cream and only 2 nights of wine. (It is 4th of July weekend after all.)
In addition to the incentives I’m giving myself (cute clothes and ice cream), I thought having a group incentive plan may be fun and helpful for more than just me. Throw a little competition into the mix and positive support vibes with a prize and hopefully a recipe for exponential success! So here’s my thought:
- Whomever wants to participate will contribute $10 via paypal.
- This will include them in a 10 week prize program – with 10 chances to win the weekly “pot”.
- Each week, whomever met their weekly goals will be entered into the pot and a winner will be picked randomly. Goals are to be set by the individual and do not have to be scale goals. Whether you met them or not is up to you to report and will be trusted via the honor system.
- The winner will receive $1 x the number of participants – so if 5 people join in then each week (for 10 weeks) a winner will receive $5.
The money is intended to be minimal and more a gesture to help build a community of support and encouragement than anything else. This is the same cost as a weekly meeting with weight watchers, but gains you entry to 10 weeks of support and accountability (in a positive way).
If interested, please join the Empty the Junk from the Trunk facebook group – everything will be run through that group.
Go here to request an invitation.
Some of the other women that are in the fitness trenches with me include:
Also, Barb, Heather, Jill, Lois, Melissa, Laura, Darice, Helen, Carrie, Alisha, Katherin, Leah, Sheila, and Merrill.
Weekly Weight Loss Tip:
Find some fitness partners to keep you motivated and encourage you to keep going even when you want to throw in the towel.