Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients:
- 1 inch Stack of Corn Tortillas (I prefer yellow corn over white for more flavor, but when out of tortillas I’ve also used stale tortilla chips.)
- 3 Cloves of Garlic – diced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Large Can Pureed Tomatoes (or 3 large diced fresh tomatoes)
- Large Onion
- 1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste
- 6 to 8 Cups of Chicken Broth
- 2 to 4 Cups of Water
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 to 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (or to taste)
- 2 Cups of Cooked or Canned Chicken
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Can Whole Corn
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Cilantro (chopped)
I have gotten to where I just eyeball most of these quantities, so please add water if it isn’t as soupy as you want or add more corn or beans or chicken if you’d like it thicker.
- Puree the tomatoes, onion and tomato paste.
- Cut corn tortillas into 1 inch sections and soften in a large pot with the olive oil and diced garlic.
- When soft, add the tomato/onion puree, the chicken broth and the water to the pot. Also, add the cumin and chili powder and cayenne pepper. All of these are somewhat of an eyeball quantity and to taste.
- Return to a boil and then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After simmering add the chicken, black beans, corn, lime juice and cilantro.
- Simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes and serve!
- Top with crumbled tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and fresh chopped cilantro.
Do you have a favorite soup recipe? Please share!