Tonight I intended to buy fixings for burgers, but when I got to Costco I didn’t want to pay full price for high fat hamburger and ended up getting brats and a rotisserie chicken instead. The kids were more interested in chicken than brats, so I took some chicken, put it on a tortilla with cheese, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
**You could make it vegetarian by leaving the chicken off and it would still be tasty.
The kids added sour cream and didn’t have most of the veggies that I had on mine, but it is still protein, dairy, veggies, and carbs. Well balanced! My mom always said that a colorful plate is a healthy plate. I’d say this passes the mom test….
Healthy doesn’t have to be expensive… this cost $5.72 for family of 5:
- Tortillas $.056 (paid $0.79 for pack of ten used 7) – On sale at Safeway for $1.79 and used Mission tortillas coupon $1/1 from 8/1 SS
- Whole Rotisserie Chicken (fully cooked) $3.33 – $4.99 for whole chicken at Costco and used about 2/3 of it
- Cheese $0.50 – $2.13 for 16oz package at King Soopers last week
- Tomatoes $0 – from garden
- Cilantro $0.33 – King Soopers last week
- Sour Cream $1.00 - $1 at King Soopers a couple of weeks ago $10/10 deal