A petition is circulating to encourage CDC to include the vaccine for infant meningitis with the recommended round of vaccines for kiddos under 2. Although this disease doesn’t affect high numbers (relatively speaking), when it’s your child it doesn’t matter if it’s 1 or 1 million. The comments of parents that have been affected are heart breaking:
- My son Keller contracted bacterial meningitis at 7 months of age. He lost his hearing and has recently been diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder.
- Spinal Meningitis at 8 months old in August 1956. Left me 95% deaf and very poor eyesite and many other after effects and problems. My husband cousin died of meningoccal.
- My cousin died at 2 years due to meningitis.
- Lost our 17 yr old Son, Alex to Meningitis in 2007. It was confirmed he died from a vaccine preventable strain of the disease. He’d still be with us today had he been vacinated.
- We lost our daughter to Meningitis in 2007.
- I lost a gradson to this and just recently had another scare with our 1 year old grandson. If this can be included in babies shots and should be. I am tired of hearing how it is a rare disease. It kills!
You can sign the Protect Infants Now petition, here. They only need 2,500 hundred signatures for CDC to review it. Will you help them reach 2,500? It only takes 30 seconds. And by the way, this is not mandating that parents vaccinate their kids, just to add it to the recommended list of vaccinations so parents are aware of it, insurance will cover the cost, etc.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central and Meningitis Angels. This campaign was made possible in part through support provided by Novartis Vaccines. A small donation to a charity of my choice was made in my name from MomCentral as a thank-you for participating. All opinions in this posting are 100% my own.