Welcome to Week 5 (June 17 to 24) of the free Meet My Goals Challenge! You can join in at any time, so please don’t hesitate to add your goals for this week in the comments. If you’re just now joining us, catch up with these posts:
Week 4 Report (6/10 to 6/16)
Have you heard of the
mythological creatures women that lose weight when they are stressed? Well that’s not me.
But, I have had a revelation.
Stress may not be the cause of the weight.
When I am stressed, I may be more likely to have a
couple of glasses glass of wine in the evening or to indulge in comfort foods like mashed potatoes or donuts.
This past month I have cut out alcohol and guess what! The weight is starting to come off. I know this is not a revelation of magnitude. In fact, I’ve had cutting out alcohol on my plan for weight loss
forever for a while now.
But I also manage to make excuses in the moment:
One glass doesn’t matter.
I’ll exercise more tomorrow to make up for it.
Any number of reasons I concoct for making self destructive choices. This isn’t limited to wine – this can be carbs or sweets or skipping my run. All of the small, day to day, moment to moment, decisions that add up to be life.
In fact, I bet many of you know what you should do to lose weight. It’s pretty straight forward after all – consume fewer calories and move your body more. After a certain amount of education about caloric intake and exercise, the rest comes down to sticking with your plan. Right?
This Challenge is to help us stick to our plans, so we’ve got that part
covered started. I thought it may be good to back up a step and summarize what we know about food and exercise. Please add to this list!
Basic Weight Loss Food Tips
- Water is the best choice. To lose weight you do not want to drink calories either through alcohol, soda or juices.
- Baked or grilled not fried.
- Vegetables are your friend – but some are better than others. My husband insists that corn is a veggie – yeees, but it’s a starchy one and therefore doesn’t fit in the vegetables are your friend category. Green leafy vegetables are best. Edamame, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas and beans of any kind all have high starch and should be limited.
- Fruit is healthy for you, but can have high sugar content. Be aware. Sugar turns to fat fairly easily no matter if it’s lactose, sucrose, glucose or other forms.
- Carbohydrates are easy for your body to turn to fat – limit to small quantities. Anything with sugar is in this same category (including fruits). If you do choose to eat a carbohydrate (pasta, rice, bread, etc) choose ones that are high fiber (whole grain, fruit based, brown rice, etc.).
- Protein helps maintain your body’s muscle mass which in turn increases your metabolism – increasing your resting metabolic rate a.k.a. burns more calories. Another thing I’ve learned from Nutriystem is that protein is very effective at curbing your appetite. I have been loving the Nutrisystem protein shakes each morning – very easy to make, to fit into my schedule, and have in the morning to start my metabolism. (Skipping breakfast slows your metabolic rate.) I’ve also liked having cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs or a few slices of lunchmeat for a snack between meals. Easy, quick, tasty and curbs my appetite.
Anything I missed? Next week we’ll discuss exercise tips..
My Weekly Results
For 6/10 through 6/16.
Last week my goals were to:
- Exercise 3 times.
- Follow Nutrisystem plan minimum of 4 days.
I did my Couch to 5K running program twice this past week and haven’t done anything noteworthy for the 3rd day of exercise I was aiming for, so I’m going to say I didn’t meet my goals. However, I did stick to my eating plan pretty well and am happy with the results.
- Last Week’s Weight – 212.0
- Week 4 Results – minus 2.4
- Current Weight – 209.6
- Total Loss – 13.4 lbs
I’m so excited to break that 210 barrier! Very much looking forward to breaking the 200 one next.
By the way, putting up actual numbers still makes me feel like I’m standing naked in front of you all. Sigh, wonder if that stops with less embarrassing numbers? Or do I just mentally stand up taller as I feel naked? Guess we’ll find out!
How did you do? Please leave a comment saying if you met your goals Yes/No for entry into the weekly drawing.
Comments will be open until Wednesday.
My Week 5 Goals (6/17 to 6/24)
This coming week is going to be a bit tough for me. I am going to a Social Media Conference next weekend which is guaranteed to have tempting foods and drinks. Plus I will be out of my routine, so it will be harder to stick to both eating and exercising goals. With that in mind, I have a few specific goals for this week. (By the way, I may not get my post up on Sunday with my weight report in it since my scale will be at home. Look for it by Tuesday at the latest.)
- Exercise 3 times. (Once while in Charlotte.)
- Stick to good food choices – limited carbs while away. Specifically I am going to shop for cheese sticks and lunch meat to eat as snacks and keep in our hotel fridge, plus bring a water bottle so I have water with me at all times. Wish me luck!
What are your goals?
You do not need to share your weight in order to win prizes. Each week you get to pick your goal and if one is a weight loss one, just let us know how much you lost (no need to share starting and ending weight). At the end of the 10 week period, the person that lost the most pounds (as self reported) will win a prize as will the person that exercised the most minutes.
The following have graciously offered to add a little more incentive by sponsoring this challenge with some small prizes:
- Nutrisystem – Facebook & Twitter
- Neuro Drink – Facebook & Twitter
- Missy Hacker (Beachbody Coach) – Facebook & Twitter
- PopChips – Facebook & Twitter
- Plum District
- Any other brands interested in participating, please contact me at mominmanagement (@) gmail (dot) com
Please consider following each of these brands via facebook or twitter as thanks for their generosity.
Congratulations to the participants that met their goals!
Week 1 (5/20 to 5/26)
Week 2 (5/27 to 6/2)
Week 3 (6/3 to 6/9)
Before I pick a winner, did I miss anyone?
The winner of last week – Week 4 (6/10 to 6/16) – is going to win a $10 gift certificate to Plum District! Make sure to let us know how you did last week (Week 4) to qualify.
Can’t wait to see how you do!
Please feel free to add the button to your blog sidebar or to any posts that mention this challenge. The more participants, the more fun we’ll have, so please encourage your friends to participate too.
PLEASE leave a comment on this post and I will add you to a Challenge email list to get weekly reminders to check in. I promise I will only use this list for the Challenge reminders.
Also, don’t hesitate to leave a note about specific topics you’d like discussed, questions you have, or areas you need particular help meeting your goals with…
**Disclosure: Nutrisystem is providing 4 months of their program at no charge in exchange for my review. Want to lose weight and get healthy on Nutrisystem? Join today by calling 1-888-853-4689 or by visiting Nutrisystem.
***Please note that I’ve added the dates to each week to keep following a bit easier. If there are other ways I can make this Challenge better for you, please let me know!