Day 15 in my Giving Thanks Series brings me to my birthday.
Yep – Today’s the big day! 39 years old…
Do I look it?
Personally, I think I do. And you know what?
I like that.
Most magazines would have you thinking I should want to look 29 instead of 39, societal pressure would encourage you to think I should be hiding my flaws, not flaunting them. But, here’s why I’m grateful to look my age…
- I am thankful for the lines on my brow that remind me not to worry about the small things.
- I am thankful for the laugh lines and crinkles around my eyes that show the world I have had lots of reasons to laugh and smile.
- I am incredibly thankful for the children in my life who are pictured in the background. Those faces make my world go round.
- I am thankful for the gray in my hair (albeit hidden by highlights) that symbolizes the maturity I’ve gained and the lessons I’ve learned.
- I am thankful for the family I’ve been blessed with that have each taught me something I carry with me to this day – that watercolor palm tree was painted by my grandmother – the yellow letter on my cork board is a birthday card written by my stepson in 2nd grade (he’s now in college!).
- I am thankful that I was given another birthday, another year to become the person I want to be, to accomplish the things I want to achieve, to raise and guide my children to fulfill their potential. Not everyone is so lucky.
- I am thankful for the sparkle in my eye and smile on my face that shows that I have learned no matter how tough things are in this moment, tomorrow is a new day…
More thankful posts…
Isn’t this letter too cute? My kids haven’t gotten me a birthday present this year. I really hope they write me a letter like this one so that I can post them in my office and remember this snapshot of their childhood.