This post takes the
cake avocado! First we have a fabulous recipe, then links to even more deliciousness and finally (don’t miss it) details on the #Avocadobowl twitter party next week! (Thanks Paradise Grove Avocados!)
Avocados are some of my favorite food, so I always look for opportunities to include them in my dishes. I’m not the only one. Just look at the variety of ideas my facebook fans came up with when I asked how they like to eat avocados!
- Chocolate Pudding made from avocados (who woulda thought?),
- Guacamole (of course)
- Avocados on crackers with salmon,
- Turkey, Swiss and Avocado sandwich,
- Avocado mashed with bananas (for infant foods),
- Avocado cut up with tomatoes, onions, olive oil and seasoning,
- California rolls with avocado,
- Avocado, corn salsa
- Curried avocado and black bean tortillas, and
- Southwest Egg Rolls with Avocado (suggested by Evolving Mommy)
With the biggest snacking day of the year approaching, aka Superbowl Sunday, I thought finger foods were the way to go. And since I’ve already posted my guacamole recipe, I decided to take Catherine’s suggestion and create a Southwest Chicken Roll with Avocado.
And that my friends is how the best food I’ve ever made in my entire life was created…
You could serve these as rolls either to be eaten with forks or fingers.
You could also cut each roll into bite size pieces for easy finger food if that works better for your Superbowl party.
1) Chicken, Cheese, Avocado, Cilantro, and Lime wrapped in fried deliciousness and then topped with more avocado, cheese and cilantro!
2) Chicken and Cheese on the inside with avocado, cilantro and sour cream toppings (to accommodate the picky palettes of my children and allow them to choose their toppings).
**To make these vegetarian, substitute refried or black beans for the chicken in either option.
Southwest Chicken Roll Ingredients
- Spring Roll Wrappers
- Cooked Chicken (I put mine in the crock pot with chicken broth the day before, but you could use a rotisserie chicken or canned chicken to speed up the process)
- Diced Avocado
- Southwest seasoning
- Shredded cheese
- Olive Oil
Southwest Chicken Roll Directions
1) Season the chicken with Southwest seasoning (I used a packet) and either put the seasoning in the crock pot when you cook the chicken or warm up the already cooked chicken in a pan with some olive oil and the seasoning.
2) Soften the Spring roll wrappers. This was my first time working with spring roll wrappers and they were actually pretty easy to use. First you have to dip them in warm water for a minute to soften them up (a cake pan works perfectly!).
3) Then add your ingredients – chicken, cheese, avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime – and wrap the spring roll tightly. (It will stick to itself if softened enough.)
Don’t forget the avocado, cilantro and lime!
4) Then fry the rolls until lightly brown. I discovered metal tongs tore the spring roll wrapper so using a wooden spatula worked much better than the tongs.
5) Then eat! And prepare to dissolve into a puddle of food bliss. These are delicious x 1000!
Not only am I already planning to make this recipe again (like tomorrow!) but I absolutely can’t wait to try the amazing recipes my friends came up with for this challenge too. Check them out!
- Bacon Stuffed Avocados on Better in Bulk
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Avocado Ranch on Wholesome Mommy
- California Rolls on Frugal Upstate
- Gluten Free Avocado Pizza on The Centsible Life
And don’t forget about my Ah-mazing Tortilla Soup Recipe that is even more delicious topped with avocados!
Join Me at the #Avocadobowl Twitter Party!
Superbowl party snack ideas, delicious avocados, fabulous company, and a chance to win prizes – what more could you want? Put it on your calendar right now!!
RSVP HERE: Paradise Grove Avocados Twitter Party
When: Next Monday – January 21st, 2013 – 6-7pm MST
Use the Hashtag: #Avocadobowl
Tweet Grid: http://bit.ly/107X0na
Prizes: Avocados (of course!), PopChips, Super Molcajete Bowl, and more…