The other day I baked up some zucchini bread apple cinnamon muffins for the kids for breakfast and to have on hand for healthy school snacks.
It is so easy to just grab a muffin and go if they are made and sitting on the counter. And so much healthier than a bag of chips.
I’ve shared my Zucchini Bread Muffins Recipe with you, but I switched it up a little to add apples and more cinnamon PLUS switched out the oil for applesauce to try some variety and make it a little healthier.
I used an organic cinnamon applesauce made in Colorado called Wacky Apple in place of the oil. Yum!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 3 tspn cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (Great tip for softening hard brown sugar.)
- 3 tspn vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce (I used Wacky Apple)
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup diced apple
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder in a bowl.
- In separate bowl, beat together eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the second bowl until they are well mixed together.
- Add zucchini and apples.
- Add batter to muffin tins (with cupcake liners).
- Bake about 30min at 325deg (until top is firm and lightly brown).
The tops are slightly crunchy and the muffin is sweet, but not overly so. They make a great breakfast on the go! Makes approx. 2 1/2 dozen.
If you have any grated zucchini left, try adding it to this carrots and cilantro recipe.
*Disclosure: I was given a jar of Wacky Apple cinnamon applesauce to review.