I love simple, healthy and quick recipes that, of course, taste good. This spinach with mushrooms and pine nuts is a great one. I eat it just by itself or it also makes a great sauce for pasta too.
It is also low carb so meets the requirements of many of those diets out there. I’ve been loving it as a meal for my Atkins stint (lost 10lbs so far in 3 days!).
Spinach, Mushrooms & Pine Nuts (Optional Onions or Fresh Mozzarella Cheese)
- 6 to 8 cups Fresh Spinach
- 2 to 3 cups Sliced Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Pine Nuts
- 2 tbspn Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic (diced)
- Optional: Onions, Fresh Mozzarella, Grated Parmesan
- Use a deep and large saute pan (the fresh spinach takes up a lot of room until it cooks down).
- Add oil to pan on medium heat. Lightly brown garlic and pine nuts, then add onions (omit if you don’t like them) and saute until softened and clear.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have released their juices and are softened.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted down – approximately 2 minutes. “Fold” the already cooked items on top of the fresh spinach to help with the cooking.
- Add diced fresh mozzarella cheese and/or top with grated Parmesan cheese as an option.
I Bought it all at Costco
By the way I bought all of the ingredients for this recipe at Costco. I have found the price is by far the best at Costco (for these items at least) and the quality is superb.
Yes, you need to be able to eat 2.5 lbs of spinach before it goes bad to make it worth while, but as long as you make this sauteed spinach a couple of times or a Green Machine Protein Shake, you’ll have no problem. These are the approximate costs I can remember per item. (I will verify next time I go to Costco and update the post).
- 16 oz Pine Nuts – $19.95
- 1.5L Extra Virgin Olive Oil – $9.95
- 2 x 32 oz Fresh Mozzarella Logs – $7.99
- 24 oz Mushrooms – $3.99
- 2.5 lbs Fresh Spinach – $3.99
- Parmesan Cheese Block – $9.99/lb
**This post is NOT sponsored in any way, but if Costco wants to reward me for being a loyal member and telling everyone about my favorite items, I wouldn’t turn it down.