This week was one of those weeks. The weeks where everything crashes.
My motivation hit the floor, brownies were made (and eaten), alcohol was had, exercise was avoided, and gluttony ensued.
“If I’ve already screwed up, I may as well go all the way and enjoy it!” was the prevailing attitude.
I can give you excuses – I was traveling for work, my calf/shin was giving me fits, I didn’t have time, it was snowing and cold, my back and neck were kinked…
Yes, all that was true, but the true issue was my attitude. I was feeling a big ole’ case of the blahs. The bah hum bugs. The doldrums. What the heck are doldrums anyway?
And I wallowed in it rather than picking myself up and giving my inner whiny child a swift kick in the butt.
WHY was I so unmotivated?
I get it. I’ve been here before. I can feel the snowball start and can predict the downward spiral.
But why? Why do I do this?
The thing I’ve not done in the past is try to figure out my behavior pattern, the whys for self destructing, for totally blowing it, for wallowing rather than staying goal focused.
So this week I intentionally reflected and tried to figure out some of the reasons in hopes of finding solutions.
- Success/Cocky – I have a pattern of hitting it hard and then quitting once I see results. Last week I hit 40 miles for the month which was HUGE for me. I think I got a – “look how well I’m doing, I can quit now.”- attitude right around the 6 week mark. That timing seems to be a pattern I’ve seen before. And yes, I appreciate the irony that immediately after posting this to Instagram I stopped doing anything.
- Time of Month – No ifs, ands, or buts (even big butts) about it, my attitude sucks when I get my period and right before. This was that week.
- Boredom – The same foods, the same exercise, the same posts, the same, the same, the same…
- Stress – When I get overwhelmed or stressed or anxious, I want carbs and wine and chocolate. Somehow I need to change my emotional response to exercise or drink water or something.
- Exhaustion – I had some bouts of insomnia and found myself awake at 2 and 3am reading instead of sleeping. When I start the day exhausted physically it bleeds into being exhausted emotionally too.
- Timing - There is a sweet spot of motivation for me right around 10am or 11am. Unfortunatley that’s also a sweet spot for working on weekdays (surprise, surprise) and soccer games on weekends.
Deeper Weight-Loss Psychology
I sometimes wonder if I don’t feel like I deserve to be fit and thin. Is there some part of me that doesn’t want me to meet my weight goals? Is it a self confidence issue? Is it an emotional baggage issue?
I don’t know. I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever know or if it’s all that important. I think instead of focusing on the failure I need to focus on what works and what gets me out of these funks when I get into them.
That self talk is SO important. You get more of what you focus on, so if I focus on negativity I’ll get more negativity. If I focus on positive, I should get more positive. Right?
Next week’s post is going to be about how to climb out of the funk and get focused again.
Progress on Goals
1) Exercise: Totally blew it. No real exercise. A total dud of a week. Although I did do about 1/2 of the lunges for the 30 day lunge challenge.
2) New Recipes: I tried spaghetti squash instead of pasta with a meat sauce, but for some reason the squash I grew didn’t have long strands so didn’t seem much like pasta. It was ok, but not great.
3) Weight Loss (Week 5): +1.4 lbs (yikes! Wrong direction!).
- Week 1: -2.4lbs |Week 2: -5.0 lbs | Week 3: -2.0 lbs | Week 4: -1.2 lbs
Weight Loss Total = 9.2 lbs.
Goal to lose 65 more pounds.
Goals – Did I or Didn’t I?
I totally blew it.
- Run Couch to 5K 3 times – no.
- Run a minimum of 25 miles in October – no progress. (tracking on Runkeeper).
- Lose 2+ pounds – gained 1.4 lbs.
- Avoid alcohol – nope.
- Create a planner for organizing my house/exercise/food – no.
My goals for next week include:
- Run 3 times.
- Do lunges 4 days minimum.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Lose 2+ pounds.
- Create a planner.
- Complete one organizing project.
- Make Dr. appointment I’ve been avoiding.
- Sign up for a 5K.
- Wear mascara every day.
My goals for the month – October – include:
- Complete this 30 day lunge challenge. (join our Empty the Trunk Facebook Group if you want to participate.)
- Lose 7+ pounds.
- Sign up for a 5K.
- Buy 2 new wardrobe pieces for my new style.
- Finish at least 2 organizational projects.
- Try 2 new recipes minimum.
- Select and meet with surgeons for my hip and another procedure.
What about YOU?
Some ways you can help me and help yourself include:
- leave your instagram or pinterest or facebook page or wherever you are participating most and staying accountable. I’d love to follow you and get encouraged.
- feel free to either link up a post where you’re keeping track of your goals, or write them in the comments below. Writing them down and sharing somehow does more for accountability than keeping them in your head.
- If you have recipes you love – please share!
- Tell me how I can help YOU meet YOUR goals. What motivates you? What kind of accountability or positive reinforcement works for you?
Previous Weigh-In Posts
Follow along and participate please – here are some of the links: