Last week I confessed I was in a total slump and completely bombed on any weight loss or fitness efforts. I can’t say that I’ve completely emerged from that hole, but I did make some upward progress and thought I’d share what works for me to getting back on track. Any tips on what works for you are welcome!
Exercise: Sometimes I get so focused on my running goals that if I don’t feel like running there aren’t other choices. I get black and white – run or lay on the couch. There is no in between.
I’ve gotten to the part of Couch to 5K that I loathe – the no interval, just suck it up and run for 25 minutes or more, part. Ugh.
The long runs are challenging for me – meaning I can’t always finish them without walking. And here’s what happens in my head… If I can’t make the day’s goal, I feel like I failed. If I feel like I failed, I get depressed. If I feel depressed, I want comfort food and to wallow. If I wallow or eat comfort food I feel like I failed. See the cycle?
But the reality(as we all know, but sometimes don’t feel) is that any moving is better than nothing. I’ve been trying to push myself out of my slump by allowing myself to put my running goals on hold a bit as long as I’m moving.
This week I took my 5 year old on a 4 mile bike ride. I combined activities because I had a book I need to return, so our bike ride took us to the library. Yes, we could have driven, but this way I got some exercise in plus had some time with her plus got my errand done. THREE activities in one! Win-win.
We also had quite the talk about gravity and why uphill is so much harder than downhill after this happened a few times.
- On Monday, I SO didn’t want to run, and was incredibly tempted to just take my book with me and read at Chloe’s soccer practice. But instead I put on my clothes and negotiated with myself that I could do an “easy” day rather than dying over a 25 minute stretch. I agreed (with me, myself and I) on a jog 5min, walk 3min repeat 3 times as a compromise. No, it wasn’t pushing me to increase my endurance, but it was moving and hopefully preventing me from backsliding too far.
- Wednesday was supposed to be another run day, but I couldn’t leave work early and had parent/teacher conferences in the evening. I decided to walk to the kids’ school and home again for a total of 3.2 miles. Something is better than nothing and again combined two activities in one.
- Friday the kids were out of school so I didn’t have a chance to exercise, but I did take them to the zoo which involves a lot of walking as our daily activity instead of the movies.
- Saturday I really just wanted to lay on the couch, but I decided that how much of a funk I was in emotionally meant I really did need to move my body. So, rather than follow Couch to 5K plan, I just ran as far as I could until needing a breather, then walked, then jogged again when I caught my breath. Chloe and I once again ventured to the library, this time with her on the bike and me on foot for a 4.2 mile total distance.
My take aways from this past week are:
- Be flexible if I want to be successful. Having a plan is good – I work well with plans – but when the plan falls through or I just plain don’t feel like it, I need to make choices that are decent instead of just throwing my hands up and giving up completely.
- Learn to give a little so I don’t cave a lot – this is true of food too. Having a “loosen the rules” day on eating helps me keep on track the other days without totally losing it.
- Look for ways to combine activities such a running at soccer practice, walk instead of drive, and do lunges while the microwave is running.
- Put together a motivational playlist and start playing it and see how quickly it affects my motivation.
Progress on Overall Goals
1) Exercise: see above
2) New Recipes: Made up a crock pot beef recipe that turned out tasty, but looked a bit like canned dog food.
3) Weight Loss (Week 6): -1.6 lbs
- Month 1: -10.6lbs (Week 1: -2.4lbs |Week 2: -5.0 lbs | Week 3: -2.0 lbs | Week 4: -1.2 lbs )
- Month 2: -0.2lbs (Week 5: +1.4lbs | Week 6: -1.6lbs)
Weight Loss Total = 10.8 lbs.
Goal to lose 63.4 more pounds.
4) Pay Attention to My Appearance: I wore mascara every day, but got lazy about earrings too and only wore them the first half of the week. I definitely need to do more work on this goal such as hair cut and color, buy a couple of staple clothes, and buy makeup (want to start fresh).
My goals for next week include:
- Run 3 times.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Lose 2+ pounds.
- Create a planner.
- Complete one organizing project.
- Make Dr. appointment I’ve been avoiding.
- Sign up for a 5K.
- Wear mascara every day.
My goals for the month – October – include:
- Complete this 30 day lunge challenge.
- Lose 7+ pounds.
- Sign up for a 5K.
- Buy 2 new wardrobe pieces for my new style.
- Finish at least 2 organizational projects.
- Try 2 new recipes minimum.
- Select and meet with surgeons for my hip and another procedure.
What about YOU?
Some ways you can help me and help yourself include:
- leave your instagram or pinterest or facebook page or wherever you are participating most and staying accountable. I’d love to follow you and get encouraged.
- feel free to either link up a post where you’re keeping track of your goals, or write them in the comments below. Writing them down and sharing somehow does more for accountability than keeping them in your head.
- If you have recipes you love – please share!
- Tell me how I can help YOU meet YOUR goals. What motivates you? What kind of accountability or positive reinforcement works for you?
Previous Weigh-In Posts
Follow along and participate please – here are some of the links: