I’ve been talking a lot about exercise for weight loss the last couple of weeks and not a whole lot of time talking about food choices. In part that’s because I like to focus on what I should do to lose weight rather than focus on what I need to stop doing. And let’s face it, most of the food talk is about what you shouldn’t do, right?
- I can’t have dessert.
- I shouldn’t eat candy or drink soda.
- I need to avoid fats and alcohol.
- Don’t add mayonnaise. I really like mayonnaise.
Yeah, great attitude for excelling at a sport or professionally – not as effective for weight loss.
So I’m going to talk about what you should do with food and spend very little time on what to avoid. In case it isn’t obvious, I am not a trained dietitian, nutritionist, doctor or anything else. Simply a 40 year old woman that has been around this block a time or two and finally figured a few things out.
If you look at any of the successful weight loss programs – Nutrisystem, Medifast, Atkins, Paleo, even Weight Watchers Pointsplus – you’ll find a common theme although called different things. It boils down to eating a low glycemic index diet.
What does that mean?
Weight Loss Food Tips
- More protein.
- More fiber.
- Less carbohydrates.
The other part that is common to these programs is eating more frequently. Eat 5 to 6 times a day:
- Late Snack
Progress on Overall Goals
1) Exercise: I jogged and walked for a total of 4.6 miles on Saturday, but didn’t do anything else the rest of the week. No real excuse, just time constraints and energy level. BUT that week off really helped my muscles on Saturday. I felt relatively strong and good on the run and ready to start back up again. Sometimes a mini break is good like when it helps you gain motivation to stick to your goals.
2) New Recipes: Nada. But I stuck to my eating goals pretty well using Premier Protein Vanilla shakes for breakfast and snacks along with melted turkey and cheese and almonds, caprese and spinach with mushrooms and pine nuts too.
3) Weight Loss (Week 7): -2.8 lbs
- Month 1: -10.6lbs (Week 1: -2.4lbs |Week 2: -5.0 lbs | Week 3: -2.0 lbs | Week 4: -1.2 lbs )
- Month 2: -3.0lbs (Week 5: +1.4lbs | Week 6: -1.6lbs | Week 7: -2.8lbs)
Weight Loss Total = 13.8 lbs.
Goal to lose 60.6 more pounds.
4) Pay Attention to My Appearance: Not so great this week. I wore mascara every day, but that’s really the only effort I made.
5) Other goals: I also made the Dr. appointment I’ve been avoiding, didn’t drink alcohol, and lost my 2+ pound goal! No on the organizational project, planner, exercise or 5K goals.
My goals for next week include:
- Exercise 3 times.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Lose 2+ pounds.
- Create a planner.
- Complete one organizing project.
- Sign up for a 5K.
- Wear mascara every day.
My goals for the month – October – include:
- Complete this 30 day lunge challenge. – I stopped this.
- Lose 7+ pounds.
- Sign up for a 5K. – my foot injury may prevent this.
- Buy 2 new wardrobe pieces for my new style. – bought some! Stay tuned for next week’s post.
- Finish at least 2 organizational projects. – I have some ideas.
- Try 2 new recipes minimum. – hmm, better hop onto Pinterest soon.
- Select and meet with surgeons for my hip and another procedure. – DONE!
What about YOU?
Some ways you can help me and help yourself include:
- Leave your instagram or pinterest or facebook page or wherever you are participating most and staying accountable. I’d love to follow you and get encouraged.
- Feel free to either link up a post where you’re keeping track of your goals, or write them in the comments below. Writing them down and sharing somehow does more for accountability than keeping them in your head.
- If you have recipes you love – please share!
- Tell me how I can help YOU meet YOUR goals. What motivates you? What kind of accountability or positive reinforcement works for you?
Previous Weigh-In Posts
- Sharing My “Before” Pictures
- Setting Goals
- Progress Not Perfection
- Totally Blew It
- Getting out of a Slump
Follow along and participate please – here are some of the links: