I LOVE stockings, they are my absolutely favorite part of Christmas presents. And I think we have no problem filling them for kids, but what about adults?
My very first Christmas with my husband, I assumed he knew what went into stockings and could handle stuffing my stocking (no lewd joke intended, but now you’re giggling anyway, right? ) for me without any suggestions.
Stocking stuffers are where you can have fun and not worry whether it’s the perfect gift for someone or if they will actually use it. Practical things are ok, but funny and sweet and novelty items are definitely needed too.
I thought this was common knowledge, but I was wrong.
That first Christmas my stocking held 3 things.
- A full size wall calendar
- An unscented beeswax candle.
- A full size (60 oz) unscented bottle of Vaseline lotion.
Um…. Not exactly what I had in mind.
No worries. He quickly caught on and Christmas’s after that were up to par. But that first Christmas was definitely disappointing for me because one of my favorite things about Christmas is stocking stuffers.
THIS is one of my kid’s stockings. And I fill it. To the top. See that thermostat on the left for size reference? Yep, it’s BIG.
A recent Facebook thread where we discussed traditional stocking stuffers got me thinking that there are others out there wondering what to put into the stocking on Christmas Eve or even looking for some fresh ideas.
Even if you have your traditional items, it’s fun to get new ideas, right? I went on Facebook and asked what others put into their stockings and combined it with what I traditionally do for this list.
First off, the one I’ve never done, but am going to do this year because of the comments on Facebook…
Lots of people give scratch off lotto tickets apparently. I never have, but it sounds like fun. If you don’t hear from me for awhile maybe one of us won big!
Stocking Stuffer Ideas
- Lottery tickets.
- Kitchen gadgets (we get a new Spatula every year)
- Deck of cards
- Alcohol (the small shooters are perfect)
- Nail polish
- Ugly socks (we have a contest of who can find the ugliest socks each year.)
- Starbucks gift card
- Hair doo dads – pony tail holders, clips, etc.
- Notepad with some witty saying on the cover
- Chip clips
- Bungie cords
- Fancy duct tape (or regular if that’s how you roll) – Crafty small rolls are $1 at the Dollar Tree right now
- Mug – with or without witty saying
- Water bottle
- Phone case
- Gum or Tic Tacs
- Fancy foods such as unusual spices or preserves, tea, coffee or hot cocoa
- Crossword puzzle books
- Wine bottle toppers or wine glass markers
- Dishtowels or pot holders
- Hobby items – craft supplies (yarn, stamps, scrapbooking, etc), fishing lures, camping thingamabobs, small tools, gardening supplies such as seeds
- Funny trinkets from a Fascinations or similar store – but I suppose this is only for those that are on the naughty list
What do you traditionally have in your stockings that I don’t have on my list?