Remember that one word I picked to define 2014?
Specifically, I want to be intentional in the following areas of my life:
- Fitness & Health
- Organizing My Home
- Foods We Eat
- Self Improvement
Today’s post is focused on my goals for fitness. Because there are a number of facets to this one, it’s kind of long and I didn’t want to overwhelm you trying to do all the topics in one post. I’ll explore the next areas soon.
Fitness & Health Specific Goals
1. Fitness and Health - There are a few things in this area I’d like to improve in 2014:
Rather than focus on weight loss, I’m going to focus on activities – that positive what CAN I do, rather than the negative what I need to stop doing. With that in mind, here are my SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time limit:
Flexibility - Yoga 4 mornings a week. I have a Sony Media player that has free Tara Stiles Everyday Yoga segments. They are short clips, usually less than 10 minutes, that are for different goals – morning stretches, strength, weight loss, before bed, etc. I intend to do a 10 minute or less segment in the mornings before I take a shower to stretch and gain flexibility.
Strength - Try a variety of monthly challenges starting with planking. I also have a kettle bell series and Shed and Shred videos that I intend to do 2 times a week.
Cardio - My goal is to run four 5Ks this year with improving times each one. My first one will be the Frank Shorter Race for Kids 5K that Jaeda and I did together two years ago. I can’t do any earlier than that because my activities are still limited after the surgery I had last November. No jogging or lifting greater than 20 lbs until I get doctor’s clearance. I’m hoping I’ll have at least 6 weeks to train for the 5K in April. After that I’d like to run a 5k every other month for the duration of 2014.
Weight Loss – I’d like to lose weight this year, but rather than focus on specific numbers I’m going to focus on eating better and exercising more and see what happens. I have a total of 69 pounds to lose.
- Extra Walking/Running – My goal is to track a total of 300 miles of walking and running in 2014 via RunKeeper or alternate software. I tracked 100 miles in 3 months last year, so this seems reasonable.
- Daily Movement – I also have a Fitbit Flex I received for Christmas. It tracks steps, activity, sleep patterns and even allows you to “compete” with friends (aka motivation!). My goal is to average 7,000 steps a day. So far if I don’t intentionally add steps by taking a walk or getting on the treadmill, my “normal” workday is about 4,000 steps.
Nutrition - There are many things I need to adjust about my eating habits. But rather than overwhelm (which knowing myself leads to quick burnout), I’m going to start with small changes that I hope will add up. Specifically:
- Eat breakfast and 2 snacks a day – mid morning and mid afternoon.
- Add more protein rich meals to my family’s rotation. Experiment with new recipes that are easy, high protein/low carb, and the kids like.
- Drink at least two 24 oz water bottles per day.
- Experiment with vegetable recipes until I identify 5 that are easy, healthy and the kids like.
- Limit alcohol.
What are your resolutions and goals for 2014? What are your S.M.A.R.T. goals?
Join in and let’s keep each other accountable!