My kids go through stages of loving bananas and eating an entire bunch in two days, to weeks of passing by the lonely yellow fruits and ignoring them completely while they get spotted and brown.
What happens then? An excuse to make banana bread muffins!
Banana Bread Muffins with Lemon Zest Glaze
This particular banana bread recipe happens to be my kids’ favorite because of the lemon zest. The light lemon zest glaze compliments the sweetness of the bananas perfectly. And the slight crunchiness of the muffin top sets off the warm moist muffin. SO YUMMY! Between this recipe and the zucchini bread muffin recipe, we are set! Do you have a favorite banana or muffin recipe? Please share!
In the meantime, here’s mine:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1 + 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 lemon - zest and juice
- 2 tspn almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
- In separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, almond extract, sugar, 3/4 of the lemon zest and 1/2 the lemon juice.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the second bowl until they are well mixed together.
- Add pecans and bananas.
- Add batter to muffin tins (with cupcake liners).
- Bake about 25 to 30 min at 325deg (until top is firm and lightly brown).
- The tops are slightly crunchy and the muffin is sweet, but not overly so. They make a great breakfast on the go! Makes approx. 2 dozen.
- Lemon glaze: Combine the remainder of the lemon zest and the other half of the lemon juice (about 2 tablespoons) with 1 cup of powdered sugar. It should be thick but pourable. If you want it more thin, add a tablespoon of milk and mix, then drizzle on the muffins.