When the kids are away, mom will play!… with recipes. That’s how this stuffed pepper recipe came into being. Well that, and peppers are only $0.50 each at Sprouts this week.
I’m working on eating clean and losing weight before our European cruise this summer, so didn’t want to use rice like most traditional stuffed peppers recipes. Instead I substituted chopped (rice size) cauliflower. I was a little concerned about this idea, but it turns out I couldn’t taste cauliflower AT ALL.
Some sausage, ground turkey and cauliflower along with a few other ingredients and voila! Delicious. Low carb. Gluten free. And Low Calories.
Each stuffed pepper has approximately
- 320 calories,
- 21g fat,
- 13 g total carbs,
- 21 g protein,
- 4 g fiber, and
- 9 g net carbs.
You can see the nutrition breakdown by ingredient to confirm the numbers.
- 1lb italian sausage
- 1lb ground turkey
- 3 cloves diced garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups rice size (raw) cauliflower
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14oz)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- cheddar cheese topper
- Brown sausage and ground turkey in pan.
- Add onion and sauté until transparent.
- Add cauliflower, tomatoes, and beef broth.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 10 min.
- Preheat oven to 400deg F.
- Rinse peppers and cut off tops.
- Clean out inner "ribs" and seeds.
- Place peppers upright in pan and fill with stuffing.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30min.
- Top with cheese and bake an additional 3 to 5min until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt to taste.